Thursday 3 July 2008

Angel, Won't You Call Me?


I walk to my favourite coffee shop most mornings. The coffee’s good and the WIFI is free. There’s a girl that sits on the couch to my left. She stops my breath. Tousled blonde Amelia Earhart haircut, red apple winter-flushed cheeks and ink-stained piano fingers. Her clothes are incoherent Oxfam winter layers that seem fished random from the laundry pile, like a librarian that secretly plays bass cello in her bedsit.

She hardly knows I exist. The only words she's said to me are "is that your dog?". I just stood there, dumbly mumbling-talking like someone playing scrabble in oven gloves. She resumed, staring at her Mac, biting her bottom lip with the expression of someone engrossed in a crossword.

I haven’t started making mix tapes to her in my head yet, but she’s on my mind. If she leant forward, looked in my eyes and said, ‘Let’s leave town, tonight.’ I’d drop everything. I’d follow her to Margate.

5 comments:

I are wearing the jean pant said...

mix tapes. awesome. if you had to though, what would you start it with?

Was it your dog?

timothymarcjones said...

Probably start tape with There She
Goes
by the La's.

Yes, dog in question was my pug, Stankie.

Unknown said...

Mix Tape, Track 2: Dear Catastrophe Waitress - B+S

Often waitresses can be great go-betweens for their patrons, spill a coffee on her Mac, you run to wipe the mess, with your number on the serviette.

Great to be reading you.

D.

Anonymous said...

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein

Farewell Rocketship by Children Collide would be an awesome mix tape song - it puts me in such a good mood.

Nick T

Vinay said...

Nice. Learn about Blogging and SEO