Friday, 3 October 2008

Money

I eat a lot of spaghetti right now. Clients procrastinate, projects lie unfinished, and their bean-counters sit on my hard-earned like covetous Gollums. I’ve nothing to do but wait, wait, and discover the montonous joys of baked veg. 

In weeks like this I resent my freelance status, and envy the 9 to 5 hamster-wheelers with their regular paycheques. Sadly I’m just not cut out for cubicles, team-building, and timesheets. I tried it for years, and near the end was increasingly worried I might snap and end up on CNN.

So here I sit, in (hopefully temporary) penury, several puddles away from the mainstream, shopping my portfolio to clients like a shy, grimy-faced child tentatively proffering a half-licked lollipop.

Think I’ll take the dogs for a walk. At least that’s free.

7 comments:

Jeannie said...

Ag shame Tim - I hope the bean counters come through soon! We live on one salary, and it sure not going very far any more... it's a long time since any cow meat other than bone-in shin graced my freezer!

tam said...

I totally empathise. Waiting for sign off... urgh, the bastards! Just remember that it is infinitely better than what you left - think of the traffic, the coffee chitchat, the access card... noooo! The drought will pass. There's a reason there's that word 'free' in freelance.
I have a lot of spinach in my garden if you start getting scurvy...

Miranda said...

Ah you and I both, Tim. It;s crap but yes, better than the alternative. And you could always sneak into Tam;s garden, eat a whole lettuce and blame it on the snails...

Reya Mellicker said...

I, too, work for myself. When I can't work (like the past 2 weeks) no one provides me with sick pay.

Sometimes I have a fantasy about getting a "regular" job - maybe as a front desk receptionist where all I have to do is answer the phone or flirt with the UPS man. I imagine sick pay, vacation pay, retirement money ...

Ahhhh......

But then I remember that I hate talking on the phone. I hate being locked indoors with no access to natural light. The color BEIGE (universal cubicle color) makes me queasy. And being trapped behind a desk from 9 to 5 sounds like hell.

It's a nice fantasy while it lasts.

Enjoy your veggies, dah-ling!

Miranda said...

and don't forget that nature abhors a vacuum so hopefully your bank account will fill up soon...

Chimera said...

I love Miranda's comment about the vacuum! Let me know if you would like different beans and i can(or freeze packed) send you a food parcel from here! Everyone is full of hot air these days anyway so you are eminently employable!
More soon,
T x

fush and chips said...

Thanks everyone, I feel loads better.

Tam, Reya,
Thanks for reminding me of the vileness of 9 - 5. Can't go back to that.