Saturday, 13 September 2008

Black Dogs

“Black Dogs have been used as a symbol for depression since Celtic times. Winston Churchill famously used the metaphor to articulate his own struggle with melancholia.”

I have my own black dog. It’s been here since I can remember, like a doleful, invisible play friend. It waits patiently, in my dark places, in nearby shadows.

It’s there in insomnia, real as toothache, when I lie awake and every heartbeat thuds like a funeral bell. In these moments, I catalogue my shortcomings, and count my blessings on my thumbs.

My black dog's been following me this week. It found me today, when I woke up with heavy and sad on this grey morning.

4 comments:

Chimera said...

I am sorry about the dog. I have that particular canine occasionally off its lead too and I can only synpathise. Hang on in there and let me know if there is anything I can do.

Jeannie said...

Hope it gets lured away and the sunshine finds you again soon.

Ernest de Cugnac said...

Get laid, eat some choc. If that doesn't work, you have my sympathy, for the "helpless, hopeless and worthless" of depression is a fuckpig.

However, try to remember that you are none of those things, and in my not-so-humble opinion you write a good blog - which is rare.

fush and chips said...

Thanks all,
Better this week.